Thursday, June 14, 2007

An Example

I thought I would provide an example of how I'm changing my food choices to be a healthier temple.

Old Sarah

Breakfast: 2 Waffles with I Can't Beleive It's Not Butter and Brown Sugar. Probably some Bacon on the side - 4 pieces.

Lunch: Tuna salad (made with canned tuna ,mayo, & relish) sammie on white sandwich bread with at least one slice of cheese. Side of chips of some sort.

Snack: 100 calorie pack of some sort of sugary proccesed food. Or a bowl of chips. Or a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich.

Dinner: Bread of some sort, pasta dish of some kind - usually with beef and some sort of creamy or cheesy sauce or tomto sauce, maybe some salad or a side veggie that was turned into a casserole (meaning cheese, butter, or any manner of other ingredients was added)

Snack: see above snack and repeat

New Sarah

Breakfast: Meal replacement bar or shake OR an egg sramble with ham and veggies.

Snack: Whole fruit or light yogurt or handful of almonds

Lunch (this is what I had today): Salmon salad (made with salmon, light mayo, olives, relish, and slivered almonds) heaped a top one piece of whole grain bread

Snack: Whole fruit, veggie and dip (that I made from chickpeas and olives - not sure but I may have made hummus without knowing it), light yogurt, or turkey wrapped around a low-fat string cheese.

Dinner: Varies - we're still working our way through our most recent Big Cook and it was done before I made this shift. So, it's usually a small portion of whatever that entree is plus some veggies (whole raw, steamed, or sauted in EVOO) or salad.

Snack: Any of the above mentioned snacks.

Small changes with a big effect. I feel better. I have more energy. The number on the scale is smaller. My kids are making much better choices for their foods! It helps that the not so good options aren't in the house.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Way to go! I'm so proud of you and your commitment to eating better. We are still trying to shift into better eating. I buy more fruits and veggies now but the main course is what gets us(by that I mean me).