Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hep Peese

Or at least that's how Tripp says it. What I'm really trying to say is: Help Please! So here's my delimma............I'm really struggling with the exercise component of getting this temple in tip top shape. I've had some succes loosing weight with just the dietary change and taking good vitamins/supplements. Since starting this blog I've lost 12.5 pounds. It's not a lot, but it's been slow and steady and as the tortoise (sp?) knows, that wins the race. I do feel like I could pick up my pace a bit if I could get the exercise consitent and more frequent. So, I'm asking for tips, recommendation, ideas, anything...........Here's what I have to work with:

3 children (two can ride in a a stroller, 1 can ride a bike - that's how we do walking at the park)
Exerball w/ 2 videos (one abs and the other pilates)
2 aerobic workout videos
Rubber tubing to do resistance exercises and the book that explains them all

I desire to work out in some fashion M-F. I usually walk with friends on M & F, but I know that when the fall semester rolls around that will not work anymore. I will be starting a new part-time job working at church and will most likely be keeping some kids in my home on Mondays. So, I'm looking to find a routine that's consistent, but still flexible. I mean, if I dedicate Fridays to walking outdoors but wind up with a sick kid I should change that day to aerobics in the living room or something.

Really what I find happening is that the days I'm not commited to meeting my girlfriends to walk I wind up not working out at all. I get to the "rest time" part of the day and with all 3 kids squared away I find myself reading or watching the 1 soap I still keep up with (thanks to the magic of DVR), or chatting on the phone with friends.

I guess the real problem isn't finding the time or having the tools, it's finding the motivation. So maybe you guys out there in blog land can help me come up with a reward system for myself. Obviously, it can't be food. It also needs to not cost more than like a buck a week (read: it needs to be free because there is little to no wiggle room in the budget). Maybe it could be weekly dependent on working out each day. Or maybe I need to restrict something I already do like computer time or TV time until after I've done it. I don't know - I'm asking for suggestions. I think maybe a combination of restricting activities and rewarding consistency would be best, I just haven't a clue how to really set that up. So, those of you who know me well, be brave and call me out here. And those of you who don't know me well - you can call me out too. Chastisement and tips (and encouragement) are welcome at this point.

5 comments:

Irene said...

All I can say is that I'm so proud of you!! I know you will find a way to master the exercise component.

Stephanie said...

I'm not sure how to help you right now as I find myself not using the eliptical that Eric got me. I keep telling myself next week but that has turned into a month now. I have told myself that starting on Tuesday, b/c we walk on Monday, that I will use the machine, during nap time. Good luck and prayers.

Lara said...

Ok, I'm calling you out . . . you know, my friend, as well as I do that it's just a decision. We can cheer you on, offer rewards, pump you up, tell you to read a book, send you to a seminar, etc. You just have to decide you are going to do it.

Love ya! (Still my friend?)

Nellie said...

Hey, I'm with Marlin. And I'm still your mother - you have no choice! :)

Just remember, you have already made some new habits with food and quiet times. Now that they are established, it's just a matter of taking on a new habit. Trying to do it all at once is a big challenge. Congratulate yourself on your accomplishments and then get into the next phase - just do it.

Love you!!!

debralynne said...

I can totally relate to you. Exercise is one of the things I'm having the most trouble with. Hang in there. I agree w/Marlin and your mom: Be proud of what you have accomplished and the rest will come.

Here are some tips I'm trying to use: Park farther out so you have to walk (but stay safe), push mow some of the yard (if your's is like ours you can't do it all, but some is better than none). That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'll keep thinking.

Love you!!!